Annual Library Membership
You have to have an Alberta Library Card to borrow items from the Smoky Lake Public Library. Currently, library cards are free. If you wish to obtain a library membership, you will need to present photo identification with your current Town of Smoky Lake or County of Smoky Lake address on it. You can also use a utility bill, tax notice, rental agreement, bank, or insurance documents as proof of address. You can come into the library to start this, or you can register online. If you get an online membership, you have 4 weeks from the date of registration to come into the library to present your proof of residence.
- Single/Family Membership is FREE in 2023.
Residents who do not live in the Town of Smoky Lake or County of Smoky Lake are asked to register for a membership at their local library.
Patrons are responsible for all materials charged out on their membership. If an item is lost or returned damaged, the patron must pay the fines/fees before any other items may be checked out.
The Library does not charge late fees.
- Books - 3 weeks
- Audiobooks - 3 weeks
- Magazines - 3 weeks
- DVD/Blu-Rays/T.V. Series - 1 week
You can renew any material you have out twice (in person, by phone, or online through TRACpac) as long as the item is not overdue and no one else has placed a reserve on the item.
You can reserve (place hold) on items that you wish to check out either in person, by phone, or online through TRACpac.
Each patron is responsible for all materials charged out on his/her library card. Out of courtesy, TRACPAC will place an automated call/email/text message to patrons if items are overdue.
YOUR MEMBERSHIP GIVES YOU ACCESS TO:
- Children & Adult Books
- Large Print Books
- DVDs & Blu-Rays & TV Series
- Puzzles and Board games
- Downloadable Movies & Music
- Downloadable Magazines & Newspapers
- Books in languages other than English (French, Spanish, Korean, etc.)
- Ancestry Library
- Write a Resume
- eResources (learn another language, home improvement instructions, fix a vehicle, university research papers/periodicals, etc.)
- Access to any Public Library in Alberta. If we do not the items on our shelves, you can order in from another library. This includes everything from books to movies to video games to music. Your membership also gives you the opportunity to visit other libraries and borrow items directly from them.
Smoky Lake Public Library offers:
- Preschool Storytime - Wednesdays 10:30-11:30 Sep-June
- Afterschool Program - Thursdays 3:30-4:30 Sep-June
- Summer Reading Program - Usually 2 weeks in August
- Adult Book Club - Last Monday of the month @7pm (not Dec).
- Exam Proctoring
- Public Access Computers including a printer and scanner
- Photocopy and Faxing Service
- Free WiFi